The plan is for Badawia Eco-lodge to be built on the west coast of Sinai, at the edge of the existing Tamr Henna Eco-village. This project is in response to the complex issue of how to transform our human settlements into sustainable communities integrated into the natural environment. It will contain a number of huts, bungalows, rooms and suits and different entertainment facilities, all in the traditional Bedouin style and all integrated completely with the local environment. It will sleep between 100 and 150 people and offer contemplation and relaxation areas, as well as activities such as desert safaris and photographic tours.
Along with the planned Ras Matarma Downtown area, the intention is that this will become the first and largest eco-city in the Middle East region, and the best model of sustainability in Sinai and the Middle East.
This project will provide the local area with many jobs and thus help to alleviate poverty and unemployment. When construction work begins, builders and skilled workmen will be required. And once the Eco-lodge has been established, yet more jobs will be created in the eco-tourism and service industries.
Badawia is the first project of Eco-Group for Touristic Projects, the pioneer of eco-tourism in Egypt. The approval of the project (200,000sq metres) was obtained from the Minister of Tourism and the Head of the Executive Body of the Touristic Development General Authority on 21 June 2000.
What exactly will the Eco-lodge consist of?
It will contains a wide variety of accommodation to suit every taste and budget: a set of luxurious suites, a set of rooms each with its private washroom, a set of rooms with common washrooms, a set of kiosks made of reed and bamboo and a tent area for those who wish to camp, equipped with washrooms annexed to each section.
There will be a Bedouin/rural style restaurant and a seafood restaurant. All meals will use organic ingredients, with no chemicals or pesticides in their cultivation.
The project will also include sports courts, an eco-swimming pool and services and various activities for all guests and residents to enjoy:
- A garden for rare desert plants which are enormous in Sinai, in order to protect and preserve them.
- A nursery for local trees and all kinds of dates palm trees.
- A nursery for seeds and desert plants.
- A fish farm for special species that are used in preparing meals that could be marketed for the visitors and guests of neighboring touristic hotels and villages.
- A place for reviving Bedouin and traditional manual industries.
- A place for social meetings and acquaintances among visitors.
- A place for heritage and environment, to provide the Information sought by visitors.
- A place for watching emigrant birds.
- Places for practicing all kinds of water sports and fishing.
- A place for raising deers, camels, sheep, goats and other animals.
- An observatory for watching the stars and the moon at night.
From the above it becomes clear that Badawia Eco-lodge will be a unique and distinguished lodge establishment, characterized by extreme privacy, and innovative services.
Architectural design and landscaping notes
- Use natural stones, raw wood, tree remains, reed, bamboo and palm trees branches in a unique architectural way (in all buildings, passages, gathering places and restaurants) in order to minimize the use of solid walls, increase the usage of natural aeration and provide outdoor shaded areas.
- Apply the systems of natural air-conditioning and aeration to provide the relaxation to practice the human activities, and group and individual sports.
- Direct the surfaces of buildings as much as possible away from the western sun to minimize their exposure to direct sunlight.
- Use colors that suit the surrounding environment.
- Construct the buildings in a manner that suits the land of the site to manifest the aesthetic values and panoramic vision.
- Avoid using lighting except at night by relying on the natural light for the longest period possible.
- It shall be observed to seek the advice of the area inhabitant Bedouins in the architectural designs to develop their feeling of participation.
- Bring in local Bedouin crafts and artworks in the works of interior design.
- Provide the places required to display the local crafts, and practice of folkloric arts.
- The height of buildings will not exceed two storeys.
- All places shall be fit for the handicapped for easy movement, and the doors according to global specifications for wheeled chairs.
- For lighting and hot water, renewable energy, solar and wind, will be used to keep the environment free from pollution, using products from the Misr America Company.
- Garbage and sanitary drainage water (after treatment) will be used in agriculture.
Who will stay at Badawia?
Tourists (either from Egypt or abroad) or expatriates in Egypt who are:
- looking for adventure and a new experience.
- knowledgeable and eco-aware.
- excited by the opportunity to have access to the special services and activities listed above.
- nature lovers.
- searching for seclusion and pure relaxation.
- open to this unique new touristic style.
- keen to watch, learn and feel the uniqueness of Badawia.
Scientists and students of ecology, anthropology, sociology or other subjects may also benefit from visiting Badawia.