Slow Food is a non-profit, eco-gastronomic member-supported organization that was founded in 1989 to counteract fast food and fast life, the disappearance of local food traditions and people’s dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world. To do that, Slow Food brings together pleasure and responsibility, and makes them inseparable.
Today, there are over 100,000 members in 132 countries. You can become one of them through the South Sinai Slow Food Convivium!
What is the Set El Hossn South Sinai Slow Food (SSSF) Convivium?
A group of organisations (hotels, restaurants) and individuals in South Sinai, all with one combined aim: to establish a community that cares about mankind by promoting healthy delicious and organic food, and to preserve the cultural heritage and traditional food of the Bedouins. Anyone in the area can become a member.
The particular local foods we are interested in cooking and promoting are olives (pickled, patted, sliced, seasoned, stuffed…) and traditional Bedouin foods (kebab, mansaff, barbequed lamb…)
What does the SSSF Convivium hope to achieve?
Increased awareness and education throughout South Sinai about the value of green-living, environmental care, and good, slow-cooked, healthy food. Also, the enhancement, preservation and promotion of Bedouin culture, craft and food.
How will you achieve these aims?
Mainly through a series of events and activities throughout the year. All members are invited to join us, and are encouraged to host their own events at their venue:
Slow Food Festivals (one each season, four per year)
- Terra Madre Day: “celebrate eating locally”
- Cooking classes for children and adults
- Cultural crafts training, including the new Zaitona olive seed craft project
- Bedouin evenings with exhibitions, craft training and music
- Publishing cookbooks of traditional recipes (such as Samia’s Middle Eastern cookbook)
To see what events are planned for the future, please view our calendar.
What are the other benefits of membership to the SSSF Convivium?
Any individual, group or organisation in South Sinai can become a member. Basic membership costs just XX per year, and you receive numerous benefits:
- Use of the Slow Food logo, internationally-read blog and advertisement.
- Special discounts on renting the Set El Hossn eco-farm for your event, and on all products from the Royal Group of Organic Products.
- Sponsorship of events at Set El Hossn
- Participation in programmes
- Establishment of events in your venue, supporting the goals of the SSFC
What are the different types of membership?
How do I become a member?
In the first instance, contact Samia using the details on the right. She will let you know the next step, of filling in the application form and arranging payment.